GERD Awareness Week Puts the Focus on Patient-Centric Diagnostics
ORANGEBURG, N.Y., Nov. 25, 2014 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- The 16th Annual GERD Awareness Week, November 23rd-29th is dedicated to heightening awareness of Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease, or GERD, and encouraging people experiencing GERD-related symptoms to consult their physicians. The week emphasizes educating people on common and uncommon symptoms of GERD and what treatment options they may have when consulting with physicians.
Vision-Sciences supports raising awareness for GERD by encouraging patients to become more involved when seeking medical treatment for their acid reflux related symptoms. This includes asking for information on a sedation-free Transnasal Esophagoscopy (TNE) procedure, an exam that allows physicians to view a patient's throat and esophagus without general anesthesia.
"It is important that patients are aware of all their options regarding diagnosing and treating GERD," said Howard Zauberman, President and CEO of Vision-Sciences. "TNE, a simple, safe visual exam, is an alternative to traditional endoscopy that many patients should be aware is a potential option for them."
Vision-Sciences' innovative EndoSheath® TNE system and the transnasal approach does not require the use of propofol sedation, allowing patients to undergo the diagnostic exam while awake and avoid the risks and side effects of sedation, such as the inability to drive or work for at least twelve hours. Due to the small size of the TNE System, the endoscope can be comfortably passed through the nasal passage instead of through the mouth, avoiding the patient gag reflex - a significant factor in the requirement for sedation in traditional oral exams.
Know the facts about GERD and TNE:
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease, or GERD, is a very common disorder.
- GERD is characterized by symptoms and/or tissue damage that results from repeated or prolonged exposure of the lining of the esophagus to contents from the stomach.
- Only a doctor can diagnose GERD. Talk to your doctor if your heartburn occurs twice a week or more and gets worse. Other symptoms can be difficulty or pain when swallowing or the discomfort interferes with daily activities or sleep.
- Vision-Sciences' TNE System is an optimal approach to the diagnosis and treatment of GERD.
- Doctors can discuss the TNE alternative with their patients for those patients concerned about procedures requiring sedation, or desire a sedation-free procedure that allows them to drive home or return to work following the exam.
Mr. Zauberman is available for in-person meetings or phone interviews about this subject. Please contact Mitch Kayden at (845) 709-5607 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information and to set up an interview.
About Vision-Sciences, Inc.
Vision-Sciences, Inc. designs, develops, manufactures and markets products for flexible endoscopy. The Company's unique product lines feature a streamlined visualization system and proprietary sterile disposable microbial barrier, known as EndoSheath technology, providing users with efficient and cost effective endoscope turnover while enhancing patient safety. Information about Vision-Sciences' products is available at www.visionsciences.com.
Vision-Sciences, Inc. owns the registered trademarks Vision Sciences®, EndoSheath®, EndoWipe®, Slide-On®, and The Vision System®.
CONTACT: Mitch Kayden (845) 709-5607 email@example.com